Product Model Browser
A generic product model browser is being developed within
PICTOR project "Product Model
Evironment for Construction Projects" of STAR
research program "System engineering in construction" at VTT Building Technology.
The generic product model browser can be used for viewing, editing
and exchanging product model data conforming to the generic
product data model.
- The product model browser is a product model/data management system which
implements the generic product data model in a relational database environment
(namely MS Access/PC Windows), and provides procedures for model management.
- The browser is a general purpose tool for managing product model objects,
their relationships and import/export functions for OXF neutral data exchange
files (STEP import/export functions is also planned).
The product model browser consist of:
- MS Access database, which includes relational table structures with
referential integrity rules.
- Forms, queries and Access Basic procedures for product model management.
Figure 1. The user interface of the Browser (18.7 kB)
- Public domain software tool for browsing product models and import/export
OXF neutral files (today) or STEP files (in future).
- Can be used as a basis for solutions for tailored product model applications.
Impact on process lead time
- Promotes data exchange to be done on the level of product data instead of
- Eliminates need for human interpretation, errors and rework in data exchange.
Point of contact:
VTT Building Technology
P.O.Box 1801, FIN-02044 VTT, Finland
Tel: +358 0 456 6947, Fax: +358 0 456 6251
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Updated 30.6.1995 by
Kari Karstila ,
Computer Integrated Construction research team,