Contributions to ISO STEP/AEC/Building and Construction
Participation to the international STEP-effort for the development
of product data exchange standard is planned within
PICTOR project "Product Model Evironment
for Construction Projects" of STAR research program
"System engineering in construction" at VTT Building Technology.
- ISO /
STEP (Standard for the Exchange of Product Model Data) work aims at the development
of international standards for representation and exchange of product data between CAx systems.
- The core of STEP standards has been published as 12 parts of ISO 10303: Product data
representation and exchange.
- More STEP-standards are currently being developed, e.g. for AEC/Building and Construction.
For more information about STEP see e.g.
- The product data model definitions being developed in the project will be made publicly
- Participation, monitoring and reporting of ISO/STEP/AEC/Building and Construction work.
- Product data models are basis for standardised product data exchange between CAx-systems.
Impact on process lead time
- STEP-standards are expected to form the basis for next-generation product data
exchange in the industry.
- Data exchange and information sharing on the level of product data (instead of document
data) eliminates need for human interpretation, errors and rework in data exchange.
Point of contact:
VTT Building Technology
P.O.Box 1801, FIN-02044 VTT, Finland
Tel: +358 0 456 4579, Fax: +358 0 456 6251
Updated 30.6.1995 by
Kari Karstila ,
Computer Integrated Construction research team,